A key accused in the 2019 Pulwama terror attack, Arjumand Gulzar alias Burhan Hamza, was killed in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK) after unidentified gunmen opened fire on him in Muzaffarabad, officials said on Thursday. Hamza, who had long been on India’s radar for his alleged role in planning the deadly CRPF convoy attack, reportedly succumbed to injuries while undergoing treatment at a military hospital in Rawalpindi.
The killing has once again drawn attention to the terror infrastructure operating across the border and the networks believed to have supported attacks in Jammu and Kashmir over the years. Security officials said Hamza had been living under heavy protection and maintained close links with Pakistan-based handlers and operatives involved in cross-border militancy.
According to officials, Hamza was ambushed in Muzaffarabad by unknown attackers who managed to escape before local security personnel reached the spot. He was first rushed to a nearby facility and later shifted to the Combined Military Hospital in Rawalpindi, where he died during treatment.
Originally from Pulwama district in Jammu and Kashmir, Hamza had allegedly worked with multiple terror outfits over the years, including Al Badr and Al Baraq. Investigators believed he later developed close ties with Pakistan’s intelligence establishment after differences emerged within his former organisation. Indian authorities had designated him a terrorist under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act for his alleged involvement in the February 14, 2019 Pulwama suicide bombing that killed 40 CRPF personnel.
The Pulwama attack had triggered one of the biggest military escalations between India and Pakistan in recent years. In response, the Indian Air Force carried out airstrikes on a Jaish-e-Mohammed training facility in Balakot on February 26, 2019.
Officials said Hamza had been living in the Cheela Bandi area near Muzaffarabad with a significant security cover that included armed commandos, a bullet-resistant vehicle and an escort convoy. Sources claimed the protection around him was increased earlier this year after an alleged staged attack attempt.
Investigators also linked Hamza to several operatives accused of involvement in narcotics smuggling, counterfeit currency circulation and arms trafficking networks operating across the region. He was believed to be closely associated with figures connected to terror logistics and recruitment activities targeting Kashmir.
The development comes months after another major terror strike in Jammu and Kashmir. In April this year, terrorists attacked tourists in Pahalgam’s Baisaran area, killing 26 civilians, including a Nepali national. The incident was among the deadliest civilian attacks in the Valley since the Pulwama bombing.
